A controversial US policy that necessitated that all adults residing with migrant children’s sponsors go through an extensive background check is to be reversed by the current administration. The reversal of this policy will ensure the quicker release of migrant minors from government custody.
The time migrant children spend in government custody had increased since the enactment of the policy of fingerprinting all adults living with sponsors back in June, according to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). HHS, a department that cares for children who cross the border alone, revealed this on Tuesday, 18 December. They revealed that, as of 17 December, the number of immigrant children in government-run shelters has skyrocketed to a record high of 14,700.
US And Juvenile Detention
The time migrant juveniles can use in detention is limited by United States laws; hence children are often released to adult sponsors in the US when caught making their way across the border without a parent or legal guardian. Such children in the custody of adult sponsors are after that required to fight their deportation cases at the immigration court.
In regards to an extensive background check, Assistant Secretary at Health and Human Services’ Administration for Children and Families, Lynn Johnson, said it had been discovered that the policy is not giving the protection or safety of the children any edge.
Advocates argued that a good number of children are held up in US custody as a result of the delay in fingerprint processing. They also said relatives are scared of claiming such children because information of potential sponsors is shared with Department of Homeland Security.
According to the reversal, only sponsors will be fingerprinted henceforth.
To get your possible Immigration options, approach Immigration News now, and we will also evaluate your profile with our Immigration experts and advise you whether you are qualified to apply or not.