The USCIS received a large number of H1B petitions over the last few weeks, well above the upper cap. According to the US H-1B visa news, random selections along with the lottery was conducted by the USCIS to select over 85000 H-1B petitions in order to complete the work permit cap. So if you are planning to apply for H-1B visa for the next year, you must be wondering about the US H-1B visa quotas for next year. Well, here’s what you need to know about US H-1B visa, the process involved and the criterion for selection.
When will the fiscal year of 2016 for the US H-1B session begin?
According to the US H-1B news and updates, the USCIS started accepting the petitions from April 1st, 2015 itself. On March 12th USCIS also did a press release providing everyone with the details.
There was a lottery for FY 2014 and 2015. Where around 125,000 petitions were filed in FY 2014 and 172,500 petitions were recorded in the year of 2015. As per the news H-1B quota expectedly did not increase for FY 2016, whereas the demand for the same is pretty high.
How to Plan for US H-1B Visa?
Well, it completely depends on what your situation is.
- In case you are the student and you are currently on the F1 visa in USA, then all you need to do is register for certain internship programs or apply for OPT employment at a company that can really help you by sponsoring your H-1B visa for the required fiscal year.
- If you are a resident of some other country and are planning to apply for the H-1B visa for next year, then it is better for you to start your application process around the end of this year itself. This will provide you with enough time to search for your sponsors, jobs or whatever is required.
- If you are already on the H4 or L1 visa in the USA and now you are planning for the H-1B US visa for the coming fiscal year, then here you should consider planning the process around the end of this very year.
What are the new changes introduced in H1B Visa?
There are certain proposed changes to the H-1B visa programs that cater to demand and US economy and these changes are tagged as the Comprehensive Immigration reform.
Below mentioned are certain proposed changes:
- The H-1B work permit cap is expected to be increased from 65,000 to about 110,000 per year. Along with the certain provisions may have it up to 180,000 where there is an extreme demand.
- In the case of Advance degree from the USA work permit cap quota is expected to increase from 20,000 to about 25,000.
- The fee for applying for the H-1b visa might go up to about 10,000 USD.
- New rules have also been added to avoid any fraudulent moves by the employers while applying for H-1B US Visa.
- From now on it is compulsory to have LCA posting 30 days before it is been certified.