About 700,000 foreign nationals living in the UK have gotten the nod to remain in the country post-Brexit under Government's EU settlement scheme according to a release by the Home Office.
A statistics released on Thursday, 20 June, showed that the Government's EU settlement scheme received 166,900 applications in May. By the end of May, the scheme had received a total of 788,200 applications from which 668,000 had been processed, the release shows.
Thirty-four percent of the successful applications go to pre-settled status while settled status got the larger part that is 66 percent.
Speaking to parliament, on 10 June, about the applications received under the Scheme, Home Secretary Sajid Javid said the numbers are now more than 800,000 with almost 700,000 successful applications.
The EU Settlement Scheme opened to the public on 30 March, and the latest statistics is the second time monthly statistics has been declared.
Speaking on the scheme, Immigration Minister Caroline Nokes confirmed Javid's claim that above 800,000 applications have been received and almost 90 percent of these have already been approved. The scheme is making very good progress, she said. She explained the scheme, which the UK's effort to protect the rights of EU citizens, is really simple and free. It is open until at least 31 December 2020.
According to the stats, Poles lead the park with 132,400 Polish applications already received, followed by Romanian and Italian figures of 110,900 and 91,400 respectively.
726,700 applications were made in England, Scotland came second with 39,700 applications, and 11,800 and 8,700 applications came from Wales and Northern Ireland respectively.
Besides EU nationals, citizens of Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway (countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) but not EU members) and Switzerland can also apply. Non-EEA members are not left out too with about 33,400 applications received from them as of 31 May.
Hi! How can we help you?
Click below button to start chat